Tuesday, January 26, 2010

9 to 5

Since I first turned sixteen I have had the responsibility and enjoyment of a job- many in various places, from health care to retail (really I'm just missing a food industry type job, but I did almost apply to work at TCBY once so that should count). Here are all my jobs so far:

- Neurologist's Office
- Parker School Uniforms
- Family Christian Bookstore
- UMHB President's Office
- Veteran's Hospital
- Memorial City Hospital
- Home Health Care
- GAP
- St.Joseph's Hospital

and more recently, Black Forest Academy as Health/PE teacher and now as the school nurse. This was a dream job for me, literally. I always thought school nursing would be the best, due primarily to the hours and holidays. But, also because it was a pretty laid back gig, maybe with a few diabetics, a couple students with ADHD but mostly just tummy aches and band-aids. Which has proved true. However, BFA being a boarding school has added a few challenges and since it is Christian based the school year includes Retreats and Mission Trips which also make my job more interesting. At times it is very slow and I feel like I have an office job filing and updating immunization records. Soooo different than speeding up and down the hallways of St.Joseph's L&D unit. There was always such a high after the deliveries and the job really kept me on my toes. It was more critical thinking and did great things for keeping up my skills. I hope to one day return to this job (part-time!)

Today, I am thinking about what next year holds for me. I am thrilled to be having a baby and excited for what this huge change in our lives with bring. But, like I said, I've been working for the last 10 plus years. Granted the majority of those jobs were part-time. I thought next year it would be nice to get out of the house every once in a while and work 1 or 2 days a week here in the Nurses' Office.

Everyone has shared their opinion on this (which is fine) and they have all been different! Some people are against pumping (breast milk) at all, thus limiting you greatly. Others say it would be difficult to find child care, while others say I could just bring the baby into work. Now, I obviously wouldn't do that considering I am surrounded by germy kids all day, but if I had a different type of job that might be possible. More officially, I was also told by Personnel here that I might not be able to work part-time next year due to the fact that I would be taking up someone's full-time work visa. BFA is allowed by the German government only a certain number of work visas. But, that is still uncertain.

All that to say, I am a bit anxious about next year, wanting to continue working in some way but also looking forward to learning how to be a good mommy. Its good to know I have different options. I am blessed...

No comments:

Post a Comment