Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Tables Have Turned

Over the last ten years my parents have said multiple goodbyes to me and my sisters when we've moved, to Belton, College Station, Nyack, Fairfax, Gainesville and Kandern, Germany. They have helped prepare us by packing, shopping and even driving us to some of these locations. They have come out to the driveway of their Houston home and waved goodbye until we couldn't see them anymore. Three summer ago, one after another, all three of us sisters left town for good. At that time I had no idea how hard that must have been for my mom and dad. They have always been the ones staying, wishing safe travels and hugging away sad goodbyes.

Yesterday, the tables turned and my parents are no longer the ones left behind. In the midst of a crazy morning which included professional cleaners and movers in my parents' home, telling my sweet Bonnie (who had flown in for one last visit) I would see her soon, and trying to help my mom with all the many last minute things ... I had to say goodbye to the ones who were always there for me. Now it was their time to leave.

Thanks to retirement, today they will embark on the adventure of driving to Virginia to begin the next chapter of their lives.

Safe travels, Mom and Dad.


No comments:

Post a Comment