Thursday, March 3, 2011

Late Night Thoughts

"On judgement day will God end up giving everyone a second chance to choose Him?"

We were asked this question one evening in one of our seminary classes. I can't remember which class and I can't remember my professors own opinion. Perhaps he didn't share it. But, I do remember there were about 3 or 4 quesions written up on the white board. We were to write our answers down and then we went around the room and shared. In my mind it is a significant turning point, not for my own faith, but rather a gained understanding of what some of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ believed. We were studying missions! We were getting our MA in Intercultural Studies, all with the intention of learning how to contexualize the gospel. I was there because I felt a call on my life for unreached people groups.

Matthew 24:14
And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

If one believes that God will allow all to enter heaven, then, we must ask the obvious question what is the purpose of missions?

Tonight, I'm trying to sort through all this. I'm anxious to see how Rob Bell defends his words.

A friend and I are doing a weekly study of Rob Bell's book Velvet Elvis. I have already gotten a lot out of the book. It's actually really pushing me to go deeper. But I will have a problem and be quite saddened if Bell turns out to be leaning toward Universalism. I will have to read this new book for myself. I don't think I can assume I understand his theology based on what other people are writing about him. But, I did watch this short video clip and was left confused.

Some people thought Brian McLaren's book, A Generous Orthodoxy, was pretty liberal in theology and pulling bits and pieces from all different religions. I loved it, and would highly recommend it.

Now, I'm anxiously awaiting Rob Bell's new book. I'm hoping he will continue to speak biblical truth.

Have you been following the drama of this? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment